Edward from SERI presenting about Advocacy #the way issues can be raised and be taken up # economic and social rights
- FROM THE FIELD: Weather reports come to aid of Uganda’s farmers 19 July, 2018Farmers in Uganda are keeping their crop yields high, thanks to improved weather data supplied by the UN Development Programme (UNDP)-backed push to modernize climate monitoring systems.
- UN-African Union partnership ‘not a choice but a necessity’, Security Council hears 18 July, 2018A stronger partnership between the United Nations and the African Union is “not a choice but a necessity” in tackling today’s complex peace and security challenges in Africa, a senior UN official said on Wednesday.
- Somalia is opening a 'new chapter of its history' declares UN political affairs chief as forum ends with renewed commitments 17 July, 2018A high-level gathering of representatives from the Somali government and the international community, including the United Nations, ended in Brussels today with renewed commitment to support the Horn of Africa country’s progress in a range of areas, such as state and peace-building efforts.
- In West Africa and the Sahel, signs of democratic progress amid continued ‘devastating’ violence: UN 17 July, 2018There have been “positive developments” when it comes to democratization across the vast West Africa and Sahel region, but that has been “competing with the volatile security situation” particularly around areas where terrorist groups are active such as the Lake Chad Basin, the head of the UN Office for the region (UNOWAS) told the Security […]
- UN marks 100 years since Mandela’s birth with a vow to continue struggle for equality 17 July, 2018Taking stock of his “vast” legacy for mankind, the United Nations will mark 100 years since the birth of the late anti-Apartheid activist, Nelson Mandela, on Wednesday.
- At Partnership Forum, UN officials highlight need for continued support for Somalia 16 July, 2018Speaking at the first day of the Somalia Partnership Forum in Brussels on Monday, senior United Nations officials commended the country’s government for its efforts in political reform, security, economic development, and recovery and humanitarian assistance – while flagging the need for further progress and international support for these efforts.
- 'Status quo in Libya cannot be sustained', UN Envoy tells Security Council 16 July, 2018Despite encouraging signs on the political and humanitarian front, efforts must be sustained and intensified in Libya to avoid further “economic collapse, the breakdown of public services, and more frequent and intense outbreaks of violence”, said the United Nations Special Envoy for the country on Monday.
- Security Council downsizes AU-UN mission in Darfur, eying eventual exit 13 July, 2018The Security Council on Friday extended the mandate of the joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping operation in Sudan’s Darfur until the end of June next year, but reduced the number of troops deployed in the field with an eye towards the mission’s eventual exit.